This sopa de pollo is a hearty chicken noodle soup with lots of flavor. Bone-in chicken, potatoes, carrots, corn, and egg noodles all simmered together in a large pot.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s made from scratch, it’s comforting, and makes the best leftovers.
- You can adjust this recipe to your liking, you can add the veggies, spices, and poultry of your choice.
- This recipe is my Cuban grandmother’s recipe and she’s been making it for years. It’s fail-proof and my family absolutely loves it.
Chicken – I highly recommend using bone-in chicken for maximum flavor but boneless chicken works too! I removed the chicken skin but you can leave it on for extra flavor. Keep in mind that if you leave the skin on, the soup will be on the greasy side.
Sofrito – I used homemade sofrito but store-bought sofrito works. If you don’t want to use sofrito, add extra onions, garlic, and chopped peppers.
Sazon – A spice blend. If you don’t have it on hand, feel free to use extra cumin, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and oregano.
Water – Because I used bone-in chicken I used regular water. If using boneless chicken, use chicken stock instead of water.
Noodles – I used egg white noodles but feel free to use any type of pasta.
Top Tips For The Perfect Sopa de Pollo
- Add the noodles once the chicken is fully cooked otherwise the pasta can overcook.
- Remove the chicken bones and bay leaves from the soup once it’s done cooking. I like to shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
- Serve with fresh limes, hot sauce, saltine crackers, and/or a side of cilantro lime white rice.
Can I Use Beef Instead?
You can use beef, turkey, or chicken for this recipe.
Let the soup cool completely and then place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days. Add more water before heating up and add extra salt if needed. If you’re planning on freezing the soup, omit the noodles and freeze for up to 2 months. Add the noodles after thawing and reheating the soup.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Tried this sopa de pollo recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook or Pinterest!
Sopa de Pollo
- 3 lbs chicken legs and thighs bone-in skin-off
- 8 cups water or more if needed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/4 cup sofrito
- 1 tsp sazon
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup corn optional
- 1 cup egg white noodles or any type of pasta
- 2 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste season generously
- cilantro, for garnishing optional
- Season the chicken with sazon and set it aside.
- Add oil to a large pot and heat over medium heat. Stir in the onions and cook until tender. It should take about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the sofrito, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and chicken bouillon powder. Add more oil if needed.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, water, and bay leaves. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 40 minutes. Make sure the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender and the chicken is fully cooked through.
- After 40 minutes remove the chicken from the pot and discard the bones. You can shred the meat, dice it, or just slide it off the bone. Place the chicken back into the pot.
- Add the noodles and corn. Cook until the noodles are tender. Season generously with salt and pepper. If the soup needs more liquid, add it and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if desired, and enjoy!