This easy sweet potato casserole will steal the show at Thanksgiving this year! Loaded with pecans, marshmallows, and mashed sweet potatoes.
Fall is fast approaching and that pretty much means creamy smothered chicken thighs and pumpkin cupcakes. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to finally share a sweet potato casserole recipe on my blog.
Thanksgiving isn’t complete without sweet potato casserole with mini marshmallows. What I love most about this recipe is the fact that is delicious but also very nutritious.
Sweet potatoes are really good for you. While I’ve tried many sweet potato casseroles I have to say that this one is the best one I’ve made. Also, this can be served as a side dish any time of year.
Boston Market serves their sweet potato casserole with marshmallows year-round. I’m certain you’re going to love this easy and comforting sweet potato casserole.
What is Sweet Potato Casserole?
Sweet potato casserole consists of mashed sweet potatoes with eggs and spices then layered in a baking dish with pecans and mini marshmallows. Traditionally served on Thanksgiving as a side dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Mini Marshmallows
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole with Mini Marshmallows:
Probably the easiest side dish you’ll prepare on Thanksgiving day. Here’s all you have to do to make this delicious side dish.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2-inch chunks. Boil the sweet potatoes in a large pot for 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.
2. Drain the sweet potatoes, place them in a bowl, and allow them to cool slightly. Add the milk, brown sugar, melted butter, seasonings, and vanilla extract.
3. Add the eggs and blend until smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Pour the mashed sweet potatoes in a well-greased 9×13 baking dish and smooth them out with a spatula. The eggs will give this dish some firmness. Do not exclude the eggs.
5. Sprinkle crushed pecans evenly over the casserole.
6. Finally, add the mini marshmallows and then bake for 45 minutes.
For a beautiful toasted top, put on the broiler and leave the casserole in it for about a minute or until the marshmallows begin to slightly brown.
Recipe Tips and Variations:
- Use salted butter for this recipe. The sweet potatoes and marshmallows are very sweet so the salted butter will help to counterbalance the sweetness.
- Not a fan of pecans? Use crushed walnuts or peanuts instead.
- Prep ahead by preparing the mashed sweet potatoes and placing them in an airtight container in the fridge. The day of, layer the mashed sweet potatoes and top it off with pecans and marshmallows and bake for 45 minutes.
More Side Dishes You’ll Enjoy:
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Creamed Mushrooms
- Candied Yams
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Dinner Rolls
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Crushed Pecans
- 3-4 cups Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot boil the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and place them in a bowl. Allow the sweet potatoes to slightly cool and then add the milk, brown sugar, melted butter, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a well-greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle crushed pecans over the casserole and then an even layer of mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow casserole to cool for 10 minutes before serving.