This is the easiest French Toast Recipe you will ever make! No need for any fancy ingredients – use what you have on hand to make this decadent, sweet and buttery French Toast.
French Toast is one of those recipes that can be made for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There are millions of French Toast recipes floating around the internet but I promise you, you will love this one. This French Toast recipe is super flavorful and buttery. It’s also extremely easy to make! I like to serve it with bananas, strawberries, and soft scrambled eggs for the ultimate complete breakfast.
What’s the best bread for French Toast?
I know challah bread is a popular choice for making French Toast, but I’m one of those people that never have it on hand. That’s why I love this recipe, it calls for ingredients you most likely have on hand.
You can also make French Toast with wheat bread, Italian bread, or whatever you have in your bread box. When in doubt, I like to use a simple white bread.
The Ultimate French Toast Recipe
The best French Toast has the following 3 elements:
- A creamy egg custard for soaking the bread before cooking
- Crisp, caramelized edges on the cooked toast
- Delicious toppings to enjoy
If you’re new to making French Toast it might seem like a daunting task. Let me assure you that it’s really not difficult at all! A few common, but quality ingredients and simple, concise instructions are all you need to make this classic French Toast recipe.
Ingredients Needed for French Toast:
It really doesn’t take much to make the ultimate French Toast recipe. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- White Bread
- Vanilla Extract
Using fresh ingredients will take your French Toast to the next level! I like to use good white bread, whole milk and high quality vanilla. A quality European butter will also make this French Toast super delicious. You can also use half & half in place of milk to make the custard mixture even more creamy.
How to Make French Toast:
Use any bread of your choice, however, white sliced bread works perfectly for this recipe. Here’s all you have to do:
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, whole milk, and cinnamon to a large, shallow bowl. Use a whisk to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add some butter to the pan.
- Dip the bread in the milk and egg mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Top your french toast with powdered sugar, butter, and maple syrup, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with French Toast?
You can easily create a wonderful breakfast or brunch spread by serving your fresh, homemade French Toast with any of these:
- Sausage links or patties
- Fresh fruit
- Orange Juice
- Mango banana smoothies
What to put on French Toast
My favorite way to serve French Toast? Warm maple syrup, a little powdered sugar, and softened butter.
Here are a few more ideas for French Toast toppings other than syrup:
- Fresh berries
- Berry syrup
- Sliced banana
- Whipped cream
You could even top your French Toast with some apple slices sauteed in butter and a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
- Tres Leches French Toast
- Banana Pancakes
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Buttermilk Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Scrambled Eggs with Peppers and Onions
French Toast Recipe
- 6-8 white bread slices
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- butter for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add some butter.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Cook bread slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned on both sides.
- Enjoy with butter and warm maple syrup!