This easy homemade caramel sauce recipe is ready in 12 minutes and made with just 3 ingredients. A failproof recipe, it’s sweet, salty, and delicious!
The first time I made this homemade caramel sauce, it was used in my infamous caramel cheesecake. Gooey, sweet, and decadent, the moment I tasted it, I knew I had to recreate it on its own. Quick to make, it’s even better than the stuff you’ll find in stores! Use it for all your favorite desserts like classic caramel cake and caramel sticky buns.
- Granulated Sugar – Make sure you use real sugar and not a sugar substitute. Otherwise, it won’t melt and caramelize.
- Unsalted Butter – Adds a rich flavor and keeps the caramel sauce soft and melted rather than hard and sticky.
- Heavy Cream – Thins out the recipe by adding moisture. If you prefer, heavy cream can be swapped out for half and half for the same results.
How to Make
- Heat the sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar dissolves, whisk in the butter.
- Add the heavy cream to the mixture.
- Cook for 1 minute, and remove the caramel sauce from the heat.
- Cool, and enjoy!
Tips for the Perfect Caramel Sauce
- Shake the sugar in the bottom of the pan until it is evenly distributed. This will prevent it from crystallizing as it cooks.
- Be sure to stir the sugar about every 20 minutes while it is warming to prevent it from clumping.
- If you’re worried about the sugar burning, add a small amount of water to the pan. This will help it heat and dissolve more evenly.
- Want to make salted caramel? Quickly whisk in a pinch of salt as soon as you remove your homemade caramel sauce from the heat.
- Want to make it extra flavorful? Add a teaspoon or so of real vanilla extract for an indulgent taste.
- This caramel sauce cooks quickly. So, to prevent it from burning, be sure not to keep a close eye on it, and don’t walk away from the stove.
Place leftover sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe (with video)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Cook the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves completely and turns into a copper color.
- Add the butter and use a whisk to stir.
- Once the butter melts completely, pour in the heavy cream slowly and wish until well combined.
- Cook for an additional minute and then remove from heat.
- Let the caramel sauce cool completely before enjoying!