Hoe cakes aka cornmeal pancakes are super light and fluffy with crisp edges. These make the perfect breakfast or dinner side!
These traditional hoe cakes are my favorite on Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee. I wanted to add corn kernels but wanted to stick to the traditional recipe. Or at least what I believe is traditional. Serve these with coffee, butter, and syrup. They’re so good.
Why these hoe cakes are so good:
- They taste like a mixture of pancakes and cornbread.
- Super easy to make, takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
- They’re great with butter, syrup, or jelly.
- These can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
How to make traditional hoe cakes
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add some butter and pour 1/4 cup pf batter onto the pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
More delicious recipes you’ll enjoy:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, vegetable oil, and buttermilk.
- Add the all purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Heat a lightly buttered griddle over medium heat and then pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side and serve with butter, syrup, and enjoy!