These Honey BBQ Boneless Wings are entirely homemade, including the sweet and zingy sauce. This recipe is perfect for an appetizer or main course and is a hit every time. Hands down my all-time favorite game day recipe!
Boneless chicken wings have become more and more popular over the last few years. Let’s be honest, bone-in wings are delicious, but there’s really no way around getting super messy while eating them.
That’s why boneless chicken wings are my favorite wings. The crispy pieces of chicken are delicious on its own but the barbecue sauce takes it over the top. Making barbecue sauce is super easy and rewarding.
I absolutely love this easy honey barbecue sauce. The barbecue sauce is rich and tangy with a touch of sweetness.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need:
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Granulated Garlic Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Rice Vinegar or White Vinegar
- Corn Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Onion Powder
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make Honey BBQ Boneless Wings
- Prepare the chicken – Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Place the chicken, spices, and buttermilk in a bowl. Mix and chill in the fridge for about 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the sauce – Place all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a saucepan and bring to a good boil before reducing the heat and allowing it to simmer for an hour.
- Coat and fry the chicken – In a bowl, mix together the flour and season it with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the bowl, coat in flour, and fry until golden brown.
- Toss in Sauce – Allow the chicken to cool then toss it in the BBQ sauce, garnish with chopped chives, and enjoy!
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Use any sauce you want – If you’re not a fan of honey BBQ sauce, you can nix the sauce and use whatever sauce you like. The base chicken recipe will work for any type of sauce you prefer.
- Don’t cut the chicken too small – When we think bite-size pieces, we often end up cutting things pretty small. Remember that most meats shrink as they’re cooked, so don’t cut the chicken pieces too small. Go a touch bigger than what you first thought you should cut them at and you should be good.
- Don’t air fry them – Many people think that you can use an air fryer interchangeably with recipes that call for frying in oil. This isn’t the case with many recipes, including this one. I love using an air fryer, but the chicken in this recipe won’t turn out right if fried in the air fryer.
- Make it spicy – If you like a little kick to your wings, add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce or a little bit of jalapeno juice. It won’t take much.
- The sauce will thicken – If your sauce seems thin while you’re cooking it, don’t worry, if you followed the recipe, it will thicken the more it cooks. Allow it to cool a bit before attempting to thicken it as the sauce will thicken a bit more when it cools as well.
What’s the Difference Between Boneless Wings and Chicken Tenders?
Chicken nuggets are usually a mixture of meat and bits of the chicken that are breaded then fried. Chicken nuggets aren’t coated with any flavoring – they’re served plain with a dipping sauce.
However, boneless wings are white chunks of breast meat that have a different type of breading and are coated in various wing-style sauces before being served. So, although similar, chicken nuggets and boneless chicken wings are definitely a different dish.
There’s nothing better than sitting down to a game or even a family game night, with a big plate of wings. In order to make it easier for everyone next time around, opt for these Honey BBQ Boneless Wings instead of the traditional wings you’re used to.
Everyone will enjoy a bowl of these honey fried chicken wings.
Other Wing Recipes You’ll Love:
- Baked Buffalo Wings
- Oven Roasted Chicken Wings
- Crispy Chicken Wings
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Honey Baked Turkey Wings
Honey BBQ Boneless Wings
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable oil
Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups water
- Slice chicken breasts into bite sized pieces
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, and buttermilk.
- Refrigerate chicken for about 4 hours
- To make the Honey BBQ sauce add all of the BBQ sauce ingredients to a sauce pan and cook over high heat until it turns into a rapid boil, then lower the heat to medium low and cook for 1 hour
- Season the all purpose flour with salt and pepper
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk and coat each piece of chicken with the seasoned flour.
- Fry the chicken in vegetable oil at 375 degrees for about 5-6 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through
- Coat the fried chicken pieces in the honey bbq sauce and enjoy