Loaded Mac & Cheese is the ultimate side dish or main entree. Made with bacon, garlic, gouda, and cheddar cheese!
More side dishes you’ll enjoy include Cheese Garlic Biscuits, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, and Creamed Corn!
Loaded Mac & Cheese! I mean, I never heard of it until my cousin requested it for Thanksgiving because she hates mashed potatoes but loves the idea of bacon, cheese, scallions, and sour cream.
This loaded mac and cheese is out of this world amazing. I know the phrase “out of this world” is highly used in the food blogging world but sometimes it’s just necessary.
This is how creamy it is before you throw on the bacon and breadcrumbs. It’s true what they say, sweet dreams are made of cheese.
Loaded Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 4 tbsp butter or bacon grease
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked gouda
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp unsalted melted butter for breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 5 strips cooked crispy bacon
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F .
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously .
- While the water comes up to a boil, cook the bacon in large skillet until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and add additional butter if needed to the skillet.
- When the butter melts completely, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the all-purpose flour and cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps .
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens .
- While the sauce is thickening cook the macaroni according to packaging instructions.
- Once the sauce thickens, turn off the heat and stir in 3/4's of the cheddar and gouda, leaving some behind for later .
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- When the pasta is almost done cooking, drain it, and add it to the cheese sauce.
- Place the macaroni and cheese sauce in a casserole dish and stir in the sour cream. Top it off with the buttered breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until nice and crispy.
- Add the finely chopped cooked bacon and scallions.
Try these other yummy recipes:
Execllent and easy recipe with many rave reviews from our cell group members and especially from my picky children! Thanks Julie for sharing this keeper!
So glad you enjoyed it Regina 🙂
What a great recipe! I think I will make this for the holidays. Thank you for posting!
How many people does this recipe serve?
Hi Ryan, this will feed 4-6 people.