Smothered Pork Chops are amazing over fluffy white rice or buttered fluffy mashed potatoes. Either works. Growing up we normally ate deep fried, seasoned pork chops. No gravy. Ever since I tried smothered pork chops at a restaurant in Texas, I’ve been hooked. I make these all the time now.
My mom approved and she’s one of the pickiest eaters I know. It’s normally the other way around, where the kid is the picky eater and the parent begs the kid to try new things. Well definitely the opposite with my mom and I. I served these with white rice but egg noodles would be fantastic as well.
Smothered Pork Chops
Creamy, savory and juicy these fried pork chops in sauce are great to serve over a bed of rice of a big scoop of mashed potatoes. The sauce is a rich blend of spices that work well with the stock.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 boneless pork chops
- 1 cup all purpose flour *set 1 tbsp aside*
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine the granulated garlic, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Season the pork chops with 3/4 of the seasoning on both sides.
- Season the all purpose flour with the remaining seasoning.
- Coat the pork chops on both sides with the seasoned flour, removing any excess flour.
- In a large skillet fry the pork chops in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Remove the pork chops from the skillet
- Add the shallots and garlic to the skillet and sauté until nice and fragrant.
- Add 1 tbsp of seasoned flour and butter, once the butter melts stir in the white wine.
- When the wine reduces by half, add the chicken stock and simmer until nice and thick.
- Stir in the heavy cream and check for seasoning.
- Place the pork chops back in the skillet, cover and simmer on low heat until the pork chops are fully cooked.
- Sprinkle a little parsley on top, serve over white rice, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8 servings