These stuffed shells are a bit different from most recipes. Most stuffed shells are stuffed with cheese. I like to do a mixture of meat and cheese. I like to cook the meat sauce for an hour or more. The longer it simmers the yummier it will taste.
- 1 box of pasta shells
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Hot Italian Sausages
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 42 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 32 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the ground beef and sausage over medium heat until well browned.
- Remove the beef and sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Place the beef and sausage back in the skillet.
- Add the wine and let it reduce by half.
- Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, crushed tomatoes, sugar, water, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour or until the beef and sausage are fork tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parsley, granulated garlic, egg, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Add about 1 cup of the meat sauce to a casserole dish.
- Fill the cooked shells with 1 tbsp of meat sauce and 1 tbsp of the ricotta filling.
- Top the shells with the remaining sauce and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle some fresh mozzarella cheese on top, oregano, olive oil and then place it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!