Bistec Encebollado is a thinly sliced cut of beef seasoned to perfection with lots of caramelized onions on top! My childhood favorite!
Growing up, I loved bistec encebollado with white rice and black beans. I love my steak seasoned with lots of fresh garlic and lime juice. Bistec encebollado and Ropa Vieja are my all time favorite Cuban recipes, hands down.
This entire meal can be made from start to finish in under an hour. Although, the longer the steak marinades in the garlic and lime juice the tastier it’ll be.
Don’t worry about the steak cooking in the lime juice, you can marinade the steak for 1-2 days without it going bad. Just make sure to cook the steak in a very hot skillet with some vegetable oil.
What to serve with bistec encebollado?
- White rice and beans
- Mashed Potatoes
Make sure to check out these other Cuban recipes:
This traditional Bistec Encebollado, or steak an onions, is cooked to perfection. The meat is tender and juicy and the onions are caramelized and mixed with mouth watering spices.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Cuban
- 1–2 thinly sliced bottom round steaks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of sugar for the onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, place your thinly sliced onions, cilantro, fresh garlic, olive oil, and mix, set aside
- Season steak with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Place steak in the bowl with onions and squeeze some fresh lemon juice and mix
- Refrigerate steak and onions for about 20-30 minutes
- Drizzle some oil into a hot iron skillet over medium heat and throw in your onions, cilantro, and garlic mixture
- Sprinkle a pinch of sugar over the onions and stir
- Remove the onions and place the steak on the skillet and cook for about a minute on each side
- Place onions back in the skillet to warm them up a bit for about 20 seconds
- Remove the steak and onions and Enjoy!
Keywords: Bistec encebollado, cuban steak and onions, bistec, steak and onions,