Boy does this bring back memories. My mom would make this almost every weekend when I was a kid and my brother and I would devour it.
This is probably one of the easiest desserts to make. The toughest part is making the caramel sauce. Once the caramel sauce is done everything else is easy peasy. Literally, place all of the remaining ingredients into a blender and done.
You can toast the shredded coconut to give it a little extra color. You can also add a bit of rum if you’re feeling frisky.
A creamy coconut custard loaded with coconut milk and shredded coconut.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 80 minutes
- Total Time: 85 minutes
- Yield: 6 people
- 14 oz can of condensed milk
- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and cook it over medium heat for about 15 mins, until it turns into a brown color.
- Place the caramel into your baking dish, sprinkle 2 tbsp shredded coconut over the caramel, set aside.
- Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut milk, eggs, remaining shredded coconut, and vanilla extract into the blender and then place the blended mixture into the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in a bigger baking dish and add some boiling water to create a water bath this will help the flan cook evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with shredded coconut and enjoy!