Creamed Mushrooms are the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any special occasion. Simmered in a parmesan cream sauce then topped with fresh parsley.
If you love to entertain then you need to give this creamed mushrooms recipe a try. I love eating mushrooms and so does most of my family so this is a dish that always gets served during large get-togethers. It’s simple to make and pairs wonderfully with a variety of protein entrees.
How Do You Make Creamed Mushrooms?
Start off by cooking the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes in some butter over medium-high heat. You may use button mushrooms, wild mushrooms, or oyster mushrooms. Stir in the fresh garlic and red crushed pepper and cook for 15 seconds. Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and cream cheese. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh parsley or any fresh herbs you have on hand.
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- Add some white wine if you’d like. I would recommend a dry white wine like pinot grigio. Stir in the wine after cooking the garlic. Let the wine reduce by half before adding the cream and cheese.
- Top with some crunchy bacon for extra flavor and texture.
- Not a fan of cream cheese? Use mascarpone cheese.
- Replace butter with olive oil if you don’t have any on hand.
- You can make this recipe in advance. Make sure to let it come to room temperature before refrigerating. Keep it in the refrigerator in an air-tight container until you’re ready to reheat it.
- Any edible mushrooms will work for this recipe.
This recipe has become a holiday staple at my house. Hopefully, it will be a hit at yours too! Once you make this creamed mushroom recipe you will never make them any other way again!
More recipes you’ll love:
- Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Fried Deviled Eggs
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Cheese Garlic Biscuits
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Corn Pudding
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red crushed pepper flakes optional
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, garlic, and red crushed pepper flakes.
- Cook for an additional 15 seconds.
- Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and cream cheese.
- Simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens and the cream cheese completely melts.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.