If you’re looking for healthy food, give this original detox cabbage soup diet recipe a whirl! Loaded with tons of cabbage, celery, onion, and more – you will forget it’s supposed to be healthy! This soup is easy to toss together and takes very few ingredients to accomplish.
I’m not a big diet person. If I see a recipe I like, I make it or eat it. Plain and simple, it can take too much effort otherwise. However, there are those times you want to drop a quick couple of pounds or do a detox. This Detox Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe is perfect for those exact times. I love soups in general, like this Instant Pot Tomato Gnocchi Soup or Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup. However, those aren’t thoughtfully created for something a detox, like this recipe, is.
It’s important to point out that it’s not a good idea, health-wise, to eat just this soup, long term. You could be missing out on other vital nutrients your body needs or not get enough calories. Always check with a doctor before jumping in and doing something drastic, just in case.
How to Make This Original Detox Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe
- Cook the onions, celery, and peppers – over medium-high heat, add some oil in a large pot. Cook the onions, celery, and peppers until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add garlic – Add in all the spices along with the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients – Add in the stock, cabbage, and tomatoes and cook until the cabbage is tender. This should take around 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust and serve – Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, serve, and enjoy!
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- Storage – Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Reheating – Let the Detox Cabbage Soup thaw, then warm it in the microwave or over the stove in a small boiling pot.
- Don’t add other ingredients – Normally, I would say to go ahead and add whatever veggies and such you like. However, this soup has specific ingredients suited to a detox. If those ingredients are changed, this could change the effectiveness of the recipe. If you’re just wanting this for the soup and don’t care about the detox portion, add whatever veggies you want!
- Make large batches – If you have a big enough pot, you can make large batches of this soup with little effort. It’s nice for freezing and keeping for later.
- Broth substitute – You can swap out the chicken broth for another type of broth if desired. Do note that this will change the flavor of the soup.
- Make it vegan – If you want to make this soup vegan, use the vegetable stock option instead of the chicken. There’s nothing else in this soup that isn’t vegan-friendly.
What Does a Detox Soup Do?
Just like any detox drink or supplement, this detox soup cleanses the body. This means it flushes out built-up toxins and junk collecting in your body. For best results, don’t eat anything but the soup during the detox, and drink plenty of water. In fact, more water than you normally do. This will keep your body thoroughly flushed, allowing the soup to do the best job possible.
Does the 7 Day Soup Diet Work?
A quick diet like this is meant to drop a couple of pounds and cleanse the body. So, if followed properly, yes, it’s very effective. However, don’t expect to drop large amounts of weight in just 7 days. Further, don’t plan on going over 7 days on such a strict diet without first seeing your doctor. There can be some extreme reactions you might see from your body if this is attempted. This is not meant to be a long term diet, just a short cleanse to remove some excess water weight and a couple of pounds.
More Soup Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Green Detox Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cuban Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
Detox Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 6 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp oregano
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm up some oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Cook the onions, celery, and peppers until translucent.
- Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, and cabbage.
- Cook until the cabbage is tender (10-15 minutes).
- Season with salt if desired and enjoy!