The perfect grilled sandwich recipe made with just 3 ingredients in under 10 minutes!
The key to the perfect grilled cheese sandwich recipe is good quality bread, softened butter, and room temperature cheese. The best part about a homemade grilled cheese sandwich is the fact that it’s super easy to make and you probably have the ingredients on hand.
Sometimes a grilled cheese sandwich and a small bowl of instant pot chicken noodle soup is dinner and it never disappoints. You may switch this classic grilled cheese recipe up many ways. Adding crispy bacon and tomato is the way to my heart.
I will always say that a grilled cheese sandwich or tuna salad sandwich is the best dinner idea ever. It takes 10 minutes from start to finish and it’s incredibly delicious.
Growing up, mom always used American yellow cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches. However, I am now a huge fan of Havarti cheese. I’ve tried cheddar cheese, provolone, pepper jack cheese, mozzarella cheese, etc. I’ve tried almost every single cheese you can think of.
Nothing beats room temperature creamy Havarti cheese. Although I do prefer other types of cheese for different styles of sandwiches, Havarti is the best when making a plain ole grilled cheese sandwich.
As far as the bread goes, I prefer a hearty white sliced bread or sourdough bread.
How to make the perfect grilled cheese
Preheat a small skillet over low heat. Do not get the skillet too hot.
Spread softened butter over one side of each bread. Place 3-4 slices of room temperature Havarti cheese or your cheese of choice. The buttered slices side out.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side over low heat or until the cheese is completely melted and the bread is golden.
What goes well with grilled cheese?
Tomato soup goes exceptionally well with grilled cheese. Also, french fries and potato chips work great as well. Believe it or not, I truly love a big healthy salad with a classic grilled cheese sandwich. A small side of marinara sauce works too because it gives me pizza vibes and who doesn’t love pizza?
Can I freeze grilled cheese sandwiches?
You may freeze these sandwiches but I think it will take longer to thaw them than to make one from scratch. It literally takes less than 10 minutes to make a grilled cheese sandwich and tastes so much better freshly made.
Should I use salted or unsalted butter?
I always have unsalted butter on hand because I bake very often however, you may use salted or unsalted butter.
Top tips and variations:
- Cook the sandwich over low heat so the bread doesn’t get too toasty before the cheese melts. Cooking the grilled cheese sandwich over low heat will allow the cheese to cook perfectly.
- Adding sauteed mushrooms and spinach would make this extra delicious.
- Bacon jam and caramelized onions are fabulous additions as well.
More delicious sandwich recipes you’ll enjoy:
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Shrimp Po’Boy Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwiches
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 bread slices
- 3 Havarti cheese slices
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- Preheat a small skillet over low heat. Do not get the skillet too hot.
- Spread softened butter over one side of each bread. Place 3-4 slices of room temperature Havarti cheese or your cheese of choice. The buttered slices side out.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side over low heat or until the cheese is completely melted and the bread is golden.