This cajun salmon and shrimp is the ultimate weeknight meal! Tender and flaky salmon topped off with juicy shrimp and creamy cajun sauce.
Serve this alongside creamy mashed potatoes or a simple tomato avocado salad.
Cajun salmon and shrimp is the perfect meal for a special occasion. Super easy to put together and it’s low carb and keto-friendly. Although it pairs wonderfully with a glass of wine and side of pasta.
You may use any kind of fish for this recipe but salmon is my favorite for this specific recipe. Salmon just tastes so good when seasoned well. I used a homemade cajun seasoning blend but feel free to use store-bought.
Let’s talk about the cajun cream sauce. Although completely delicious and in my opinion, it is what makes this dish super delicious, you can serve the cajun salmon and shrimp without sauce.
The cajun cream sauce is made with heavy cream, lots of garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Super creamy and delicious so I highly recommend making it especially if serving the salmon and shrimp over mashed potatoes.
So not only is the cajun cream sauce a wonderful addition it also adds to the presentation.
Ingredient’s you’ll need for cajun salmon and shrimp with cream sauce
- Cajun Seasoning
- Red Crushed Pepper (optional)
- Fresh Garlic
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
How to make cajun salmon and shrimp with cream sauce
This is one of the easiest and most flavorful meals you will ever make, here’s all you have to do:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Season the salmon with 2 tsp of cajun seasoning. Season the shrimp with 1 tsp of cajun seasoning.
- Add some oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the salmon for 1-2 minutes on each side. Then place the salmon in the oven for 7 minutes.
- While the salmon bakes in the oven, add some oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the medium-sized skillet and cook for 40 seconds on each side. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the garlic and red crushed pepper to the medium-sized skillet and cook for 15 seconds. Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the sauce thicken and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the salmon and shrimp, garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
How do I prevent the salmon from drying out?
The last thing you want to do is overcook a salmon filet. Overcooking salmon will result in dry fish. For this cajun salmon and shrimp recipe, I used 1 lb of salmon.
The salmon filets were very thick and gave me two servings. They cooked perfectly for 7 mins in the oven. If your salmon filets are on the thinner side, you may cook it for 4-5 minutes in the oven or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
What type of shrimp should I use?
I prefer to use raw jumbo shrimp for this recipe especially if it’s a meal for two. Jumbo shrimp on top of the salmon makes for a wonderful presentation. The bigger the shrimp, the less you may use. I used 1/4 lb of jumbo shrimp and 1 lb of salmon.
Can I make this ahead of time?
This cajun salmon and shrimp recipe takes about 20 minutes to prepare start to finish and tastes best when eaten immediately.
More salmon recipes to check out:
- Firecracker Baked Salmon
- Honey Glazed Salmon
- Crab Stuffed Salmon
- Pan-Seared Salmon with Lemon Butter
Cajun Salmon and Shrimp
- 1 lb salmon
- 1/4 lb shrimp
- 3 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp red crushed pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season the salmon with 2 tsp of Cajun Seasoning. Season the shrimp with 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning.
- Heat a large skillet with some oil over medium-high heat. Cook the salmon for 1-2 minutes, on each side, skin side down. Place the salmon in the oven and cook for 7 minutes.
- While the salmon bakes in the oven, heat a medium-sized skillet with some oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 40 seconds on each side. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the garlic and red crushed pepper to the skillet and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice, heavy cream, parmesan cheese and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked salmon and shrimp and enjoy.
Turned out so delicious! Thank you.
My family loves this dish ,we make it often.I serve it over quinoa or angel hair pasta
Tiffany Pennington says
So good! I make this once a week!
My husbands favorite…and he’s extremely picky.
Loved this quick easy dish! I served with
Cajun macaroni salad. Wrong side. Will
try pasta and make extra sauce to go with it.
How much cream? It’s not listed in the ingredients.
Sorry about that Molly, I just adjusted the recipe. I used 1/4 cup.
Marilyn Caskey says
This is fabulous! So easy and special!