Skip the oven and make this savory slow cooker whole chicken for dinner instead. This recipe uses aromatic herbs and spices to bring life to a juicy chicken as it slowly roasts in the crockpot. Extremely easy and quick, making it the perfect toss and go recipe.
There are some nights where I absolutely love taking my time with dinner and going all out. There are other times where I wish I could go all out, but just don’t have the time or the drive to do so. Those are the nights when I break out recipes like this crockpot whole chicken, Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan, or Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna. It’s a meal that looks and tastes like I put in a ton of effort, but I really didn’t have to.
How To Make
- Mix – In a bowl, combine all the seasonings and mix well.
- Prep – Use foil to make a ring that will fit around the bottom of the inside of your slow cooker. Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place the ring inside and place the chicken on top so it’s suspended off the bottom.
- Season – Rub the seasoning mixture all over the skin of the chicken.
- Cook – Place the crockpot on high and cook the chicken for 3-4 hours.
- Broil – Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe dish and broil for up to 5 minutes to crisp up the skin. Enjoy!
Top Tips For The Perfect Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Add more seasonings – If you prefer to add some more seasonings or to adjust them to your own preferences, that’s great! These are the preferred seasonings that I believe bring out the best flavor in the chicken. Have fun with it!
- Add butter – If you would like some added flavor and juice, you can add some butter to the chicken. You could also inject some spiced, melted butter into the chicken as well.
- Skip the broiler – If you don’t care if the skin is crispy or has color, then you can skip this aspect if you like. This is more for looks and skin texture than anything, so it’s totally up to you.
- Foil substitute – Some slow cookers come with little metal racks that sit in the bottom of the crockpot so items aren’t sitting directly on the bottom. That would work as well if need be.
- Use the leftovers – You can always take the leftovers and use them in other dinner recipes! You can shred it to make this Latin Shredded Chicken Stew or Shredded Chicken Sandwiches. You could also slice it into large chunks and use it in this Chicken Thyme Pasta.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
You can definitely put raw chicken in a crockpot. As long as chicken reaches a certain temperature in the cooking process, you’re good to go. You’ll want to check the meatiest area with a meat thermometer to ensure it’s at 165 degrees or higher. This makes it safe for consumption and also helps you ensure the meat was cooked through. I usually cook my whole chicken on high for 3-4 hours, but the time can vary depending on size.
Do You Need to Put Water in a Slow Cooker with Chicken?
As you can see by this recipe, you definitely don’t need water. The added liquid is usually to keep recipes from burning as they cook through the slow process. In order to avoid this, all you have to do is make sure the chicken isn’t sitting on the bottom of the crockpot. I do this by making a ring out of aluminum foil. It’s quick and easy and works wonders. No water necessary. However, be sure to follow the recipe as not all recipes are the same and may need the water for other reasons. For this whole chicken recipe, you don’t need water.
- Fridge – Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer – Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Reheating – Reheat in the microwave, oven, over the stove, or even in the air fryer.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 5 lb whole chicken
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 cups chicken drippings or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika. Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Season the chicken all over with the spice blend and salt and pepper. Roll aluminum foil into a ring and place it in the bottom of your slow cooker. Place the chicken on top of the aluminum foil.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes.
- To make the gravy combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Mix well. Turn the slow cooker on high and whisk the cornstarch mixture with the chicken drippings. If your chicken didn't release enough liquid, use store-bought chicken stock.
- Let the gravy cook for 5-10 minutes or until it thickens nicely. Season with salt and pepper.