This sticky chicken will be the new favorite around your house. Bursting with amazing flavors from the perfect amount of spices, you’ll never believe how easy this dish is. Top it off with a spicy honey sauce and you’ve got yourself an unforgettable dinner.
Sticky Chicken is one of those recipes that’s super simple but it seems like it takes a lot more energy to make. The tender and juicy chicken along with that addicting sauce will have you hooked from bite number one. It’s seriously my favorite way to make chicken outside of Shredded Chicken Sandwiches and Honey Lime Chicken.
I love making chicken dinner recipes that are a hit for everyone in the house, including myself. Not only are they a breeze, but they’re super economical as well.
How to Make Sticky Chicken
- Prep the chicken – Combine the granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, and chili powder in a bowl. Season the chicken on both sides with the mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Toss to coat and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Bake the chicken – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and let the chicken come to room temperature on its own. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Make the sticky sauce – Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Brush over chicken and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Broil for the last ten minutes.
- Cool – Let cool down a bit. Serve and enjoy!
Expert Tips and Recipe Variations
- Storage – Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Will last in the fridge for up to 3 days and the freezer for up to a month.
- Reheating – Reheat from the fridge in the microwave or oven for a few minutes. When reheating from the freezer, let it thaw on its own, then follow the same steps for reheating.
- Make it mild – If you prefer a mild sticky chicken, try to use a hot sauce that’s mild or with no spice at all. You can also remove the hot sauce altogether if preferred.
- Use boneless chicken – If you don’t like bone-in chicken, go for the boneless skinless option. You may not need to cook it as long, so be aware of the adjustment that might need to happen when changing the type of chicken being used.
- Chilling is vital – As much as it stinks to have to wait for the chicken to marinate, it’s important to get that amazing jerk flavor. The longer it marinates, the better the flavor.
- Make the marinade ahead of time – Make the marinade, coat the chicken, and place it in the fridge the night before. This saves time and makes for a quicker and tastier dinner.
- Olive oil substitute – If desired, the olive oil can be swapped for another type of oil you have on hand. Just be sure it’s going to add to the flavor of the dish rather than hurt it.
How Do You Make the Tastiest Chicken?
The best way to prepare any meat to be the tastiest is to use the right spices and the right amount of those spices. Meat itself has great flavor, but only if prepared properly and paired with the spices that help it sing. For this recipe, you’ll notice I have multiple spices that all pair well with chicken in general. This makes the natural flavor of the chicken at its best while also adding other various flavor profiles.
What Should I Serve With This Sticky Chicken?
Just about every side goes well with a nice chicken dish like this one. Vegetables are never a bad idea and neither is a hearty salad. Here are a few ideas from my own recipe collection.
- Creamed Mushrooms
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Vegetable Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
- Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
If you fell head over heels for this Sticky Chicken like I did, let me know about it in the comments below or even on social media!
More Chicken Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Healthy Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
- Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry
- Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
You can find more delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
- 1 lb bone in chicken
- 1 Tsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tsp granulated onion
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1/4 Tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 Tsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, and chili powder.
- Season the chicken with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Add the minced garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the chicken so all the spices and oil coat the chicken then cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Let the chicken come to room temperature before placing in the oven.
- Cover the chicken and place it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken roasts, prepare the sticky sauce.
- Combine the honey, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper,
- Brush the chicken with the sticky sauce and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil for the final 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Can I make this recipe and take the skin off the chicken
This recipe was so delicious , I made it with chicken legs , my husband just loved it. I made extra sticky sauce so we could dip our chicken in it . This is a winner winner chicken dinner .
Thank you so much, Diane! Glad you and your husband enjoyed it xoxo