Orange Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert! Made with poppy seeds, fresh lemon, orange, yogurt, sour cream, and vanilla extract, ready in under 20 minutes!
You’ll also love these other delicious breakfast recipes, Jelly Donuts, Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, and Moist Banana Bread!
Orange Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Poppy seed muffins are one of my favorite breakfast and snack. I can’t recommend these muffins enough, they’re incredibly soft and moist. You definitely can taste the fresh lemon and orange. The recipe doesn’t call for a lot of sugar so I highly recommend making a glaze for these. Without the glaze, they aren’t that sweet. The lemon glaze takes these muffins to another level. I recently realized that these Ham and Cheese Corn Muffins are the only muffin recipe I have on my site. Therefore, plenty of muffin recipes will be coming soon.
How to Make Orange Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
This recipe without a doubt is one of the easiest recipes you’ll make. You may certainly make these the night before and place them in a container with a lid. They’ll be just as soft and moist the following day. Enjoy these with a cup of hot coffee for the win. Here’s how easy it is to make these muffins:
- Place the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice, orange zest and juice, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, yogurt, and sour cream in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Evenly divide the batter in a prepared muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes or until done.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Top the muffins with the glaze and fresh zest, if desired.
Can I omit the poppy seeds?
The poppy seeds give these muffins a delicious bite, therefore I highly recommend you use them, However, these muffins will be just as amazing without the poppy seeds.
I only have lemons can I omit the orange?
I like the orange and lemon balance here but you may certainly leave out the orange.
How long do I bake these muffins for?
Bake these for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Do not overbake them or they will become tough and dry.
How to make these muffins extra moist?
Make sure not to substitute full-fat ingredients for fat-free ingredients. Use full-fat yogurt and sour cream.
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of half an orange about 1 tbsp
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon about 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- juice of one lemon about 2 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, unsalted butter, yogurt, sour cream, lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice, and sugar.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and poppy seeds.
- Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop into muffin tin, 3/4 cup full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the glaze, mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Dip the cooled muffins into the glaze and garnish with fresh orange zest, if desired.
Do not over mix the batter and do not over bake the muffins.