Cheddar Garlic Mashed Potatoes are four words that will never go out of style! It requires only a few ingredients to make these creamy cheesy mashed potatoes.
If you’re a fan of Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Loaded Mashed Potatoes then you’re going to love these cheddar garlic mashed potatoes. This is something in between those two favorites. These garlic mashed potatoes are super creamy, fluffy, and cheesy and a guaranteed hit at your holiday table.
What is the secret to good mashed potatoes? Thought you’d never ask. Butter, salt, and hot milk, that’s it. If your grandpa hates fancy mashed potatoes and just wants a bowl of plain mashed potatoes, that’s what I recommend.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Russet Potatoes
- Whole Milk
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Cloves
- Sour Cream
- Granulated Garlic
How to Make Cheddar Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Start off by peeling and rinsing the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Then bring the water to a boil and cook for 40-50 minutes or until tender (depending on the size of your potatoes)then drain them. In a small saucepan heat the milk, garlic, and granulated garlic over medium heat. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes while whisking in the warm milk alternating with the softened butter. Stir in 1/2 of the cheese and sour cream. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover the mashed potatoes with the remaining cheese and place it under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the cheese completely melts.
How to make mashed potatoes without a potato masher:
If you don’t own a potato masher an electric mixer is a great device to mash potatoes.
I don’t have Sour Cream what do you suggest I add?
You can use softened cream cheese instead of sour cream.
Not a fan of yellow cheddar cheese what other cheese can I use?
Mozzarella cheese and white cheddar is what I used to make my favorite Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and it’s a fantastic combination.
These cheesy potatoes are fluffy, easy to make, extra creamy, and comfort food at it’s best.
More Delicious Sides You’ll Enjoy:
Cheddar Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6-7 large russet potatoes
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 tbsp softened butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water.
- Bring up to a boil and cook for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Place the milk, granulated garlic, and fresh garlic in a saucepan and bring up to a simmer.
- Using a potato masher mash the potatoes and stir in the butter and hot milk mixture.
- Add 1/2 of the cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Season with salt.
- Cover the potatoes with the remaining cheese and place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with fresh chives if desired and enjoy!